habitat home ownership benefits & eligibility
With the help of sponsors, donors, volunteers, and community partners, we build homes in family-friendly communities and sell them to qualifying homeowners. Habitat homeownership requires the homeowner to volunteer 500 hours, but there is no down-payment for the home. Each homeowner has affordable monthly payments that bring stability to their housing situation.
Why Habitat Homeownership?
There are several benefits to Habitat Homeownership:
- No cash down payment is required.
- Mortgage payments are based on 50% of the appraised value of the house. For example, if a Habitat home is appraised at $300,000, the homeowner’s first mortgage is based on $150,000. Habitat holds the second mortgage interest-free for 20 years.
- Homeowners receive a below-market interest rate, and their payments will not fluctuate over the course of each term.
- Homeowners gain access to market appreciation on their home upon graduating from Habitat home ownership.
Am I eligible?
Do you want to own your own home? Habitat homeownership may be for you. We sell homes to families who qualify with our mortgage partner, and who meet the following criteria:
- Have children under age 18 living at home.
- Be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Have a gross household income of around $35,000 – $65,000 (annually).
- Maintain a good credit rating (no bankruptcy, credit card payments are up-to-date, etc).
- Agree to volunteer 500 hours with Habitat.
How do I apply?
Take the first step in our application process by filling out our online form, and we will touch base with you shortly.
Real people, real stories
“Without Habitat for Humanity, we never thought we would be able to give our children a home. And through our 500 volunteer hours, we learned new skills – and made new friends! Habitat has changed our life. Because of Habitat for Humanity, today we are home owners and we can see the bright future of children.” ~ Tsehaye and Birhanawit