black families initiative
Habitat for Humanity Canada and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) are delivering a program for those who self-identify as Black families.
Home ownership in Canada is not equal. While over 68% of Canadians own their own home, Black people living in Canada have experienced systemic barriers and discrimination that has contributed to a disproportionate lack of home ownership opportunities. Only 40% of Black people own their own home in Canada, the lowest level of homeownership amongst any group
By addressing the racial disparity in home ownership, we can give Black people living in Canada the same opportunity to attain social and financial stability, build equity and transform futures that others benefit from and ensure our collective prosperity. As part of the Black families initiative, we will be building homes in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and Leduc over the next few years.
- One of more members of the family self-identify as Black
- Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
- One adult is employed on a full-time, permanent basis.
- Annual gross household income of $45,000 – $75,000 (as determined by Habitat).
- Maintain a good credit rating (no bankruptcy, credit card payments are up-to-date, etc.).
- Agree to volunteer 500 hours with Habitat.
- You acknowledge that you will be paying interest to the bank on the mortgage.
Please note that we have homes available for everyone that are not part of the Black Families Initiative.
We will be building homes in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and Leduc that will be part of the Black Families Initiative. We invite you to join waitlist to be notified when a home through our Black Families Initiative becomes available.
Real people, real stories
“I can say it no more succinctly than this – and as I type, I realize I am falling short – the work Habitat has done for my family and I has blessed me every single day of my life and it will continue to do so as long as I live. I can never repay this, all I can do is say thank you.”
We’d love to hear from you.