join our board
What it means to be a Habitat board member
Our Board of Directors provides guidance and leadership on the strategic direction of Habitat for Humanity Edmonton Society. To be eligible, applicants must live, work, or volunteer in the jurisdiction of our Society. The Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors (BOD) is fully insured for liability and is governed by the Bylaws of the Society. Candidates interested in serving on the BOD should be fully conversant with and comfortable with Habitat’s vision and values.
Interested in becoming a board member?
In terms of skills and experience, we seek candidates with Board Governance experience who can contribute in the following areas:
- Fund Development
- Communications & Technology
- Finance – Certified Professional Accountant
All board directors will be expected to:
- Attend all board meetings including four regularly scheduled board meetings and any special board meetings scheduled as needed.
- Participate on either the Audit and Risk Committee or the Governance and Human Resources Committee of the Board (four in-person/teleconference committee meetings annually).
- Schedule 2 – 4 hours for preparation prior to each meeting in addition to meeting and travel time.
- Attend other critical events (e.g. Volunteer Appreciation Event, Home Dedication Ceremonies, and the Habitat Annual Open House).
- Attend the Annual General Meeting in late April.
- Attend the Strategic Planning event in January.
- Add value through participation in special projects.
- Assist the organization to expand its resource base by sharing expertise and by providing access to personal or professional contacts who may be interested in contributing to Habitat Edmonton’s success.
How to apply
We are not accepting applications at this time. Please check back in the fall of 2024 when we reopen the application process. Thank you!