join our board
What it means to be a board member at Habitat Edmonton
Our Board of Directors provides guidance and leadership on the strategic direction of Habitat for Humanity Edmonton Society. To be eligible, applicants must live, work, or volunteer in the jurisdiction of our Society. The Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors (BOD) is fully insured for liability and is governed by the Bylaws of the Society. Candidates interested in serving on the BOD should be fully conversant with and comfortable with our vision and values.
Interested in becoming a board member?
Interested candidates are encouraged to access the Board of Directors information and application package.
In terms of skills and experience, we are especially looking for qualified candidates who can contribute in the following areas:
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Technology Transformation/Cybersecurity
- Real Estate Development
- Community/Social Services
- Government Relations
All board directors will be expected to:
- Attend all board meetings including five regularly scheduled board meetings and any special board meetings scheduled as needed.
- Participate on either the Audit and Risk Committee or the Governance and Human Resources Committee of the Board (five in-person/teleconference committee meetings annually).
- Schedule 4 – 5 hours for preparation prior to each meeting, in addition to meeting and travel time.
- Attend other critical events(e.g. Volunteer Appreciation event, Habitat Day, Home Dedication Ceremonies, Golf Tournament, the Habitat annual Open House, etc).
- Add value through participation in special projects.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting, in late April.
- Attend the Strategic Planning event.
- Assist the organization to expand its resource base by sharing expertise and by providing access to personal or professional contacts who may be interested in contributing to Habitat Edmonton’s success.